Hi, I’m Leighá – the content creator and storyteller behind A Southern Compass Blog.
I started A Southern Compass blog to share my passions, beauty & product tips, style (petite, casual & workwear), life hacks and everyday journey through life. I’d always toyed around with the idea of starting a blog but finally pulled the trigger after I turned 30 and needed a creative outlet and a new challenge.
The name for the blog A Southern Compass is two-fold. The first is pretty obvious – I’m Southern. A native Houstonian with the Texan pride alongside it. Texas is my home. The second part is a little more philosophical. The compass is a symbol of guidance meant to point you in the right direction. It’s also something that can point you in MANY directions.
- I’m a shortie at just 5 foot tall!
- I like to describe my style as classy, casual. But I’m known for mixing things up with unexpected accessories, LEOPARD & pops of color. I also live for athleisure.
- I like to be low maintenance. Outside of keeping up with all this blonde hair – I keep everything else from nails to makeup as effortless as possible.
- I’m an introvert by nature.
- I love reading! You can find me curled up on the sofa on a reading marathon most weekends. I love dystopian, sci-fi and books with female heroines. (I read 136 books in 2018)
- I started playing guitar when I was 8 years old. I don’t often find the time to play anymore but it’s still something I truly love.
- I have an MBA & a Bachelor in Mass Communication from Sam Houston State University.
- Coco is my 8-year-old German Shepherd – Black Lab Mix & Kiki is my cat and currently queen of the house.
Books I Love:
The Throne of Glass & A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, Outlander, Shatter Me, Under The Never Sky, The 5th Wve, Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels, The Gender Game, Talented series, Secondborn & Girl, Wash Your Face.
TV Shows I Love:
Superntural, Dateline, Chicago Fire, Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, This Is Us, Manifest, The Good Doctor, Revenge, Younger, Blindspot, 12 Monkeys, Law & Order SVU, Roswell (the original).
I’m not unique in saying that I haven’t ended up where I thought I’d be. Best laid plans and all but it’s been an incredible learning experience about myself and where my professional strengths lie.
My career has taken me from Nebraska to East Texas and now back home to Houston. I’ve been a student, an event planner, a journalist, a non-profit fundraiser, a student again, and now I’m in digital content creation. One of my favorite quotes is “I’m a work in progress” so that’s how I’ll leave it.
Expect to see a little quirk, a little humor, a little advice, a little style, a little fashion, a little exercise, a little nutrition and a few book recs.