October may be spookiest month of the year as we all prep for Halloween but it’s also scary knowing how many women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this week, this month, this year. Nearly half a million women in the Greater Houston area will be diagnosed with breast cancer. That’s one in eight women in their lifetime [source]. Learn more about breast cancer here.
I had the opportunity to work at the American Cancer Society for several years and volunteered at countless fundraising and awareness events across the Greater Houston area. It was especially humbling to remember all those who lost their battle with breast cancer and inspiring to see the strength of all the women currently fighting and those who fought cancer and won.
For all my local followers, I rounded up some of the local awareness events that are happening in the Greater Houston area. Perhaps you or your company can attend or make a donation. This is not even close to a complete list of events. There are many smaller, more local events where you live – I guarantee it. Check into them and get involved.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital will be glowing pink every evening for breast cancer awareness month. Additionally, Towne Lake in Cypress will light their bridge pink throughout the month of October.
- Oct. 5: 2019 Women’s Health Symposium
- Event details: Memorial Herman Cypress Hospital 10 – 11:30 am
- Screenings and information about women’s health issues.
- Free event
- Oct. 5: Paces4Pink 5K walk/run
- Event Details: Meet at 8 am at the Historic Depot in Tomball, Race day packet pickup 7 – 7:30 am
- Proceeds benefit TOMAGWA, an organization that provides breast cancer screening and treatments for people struggling financially.
- Run/walk adults ($35), 1 mile run/walk 11+ ($25), 1 mile run/walk 10 & under ($20)
- Oct. 5: 2019 Race for the Cure
- Event details: Sam Houston Park, 1000 Bagby, Houston, TX
- Race day registration begins at 6 am, opening ceremonies start at 7:45 am with an 8 am race start.
- Oct. 10: Susan G. Komen Dine Out For The Cure
- Event details: Simply dine out at one of the participating restaurants and a portion of the cost of your meal will be donated by the restaurant to Susan G. Komen to help in the fight against breast cancer
- List of participating restaurants here
- Oct. 10: The Memorial Hermann Foundation’s 10th Annual Razzle Dazzle, BLOOM Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon
- Event details: The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown, 1600 West Loop South from 10:30 am – 2:00 pm
- $500 individual ticket
- Oct. 11: Night of Positively Pink
- Event details: LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch – Heritage Square, 23501 Cinco Ranch Blvd., Katy, TX from 6 – 9 pm
- Free event
- Oct. 12: Party in Pink
- Event details: Axis & Alibi Patio Lounge at 5701 Washington Ave. from 7 – 10 pm
- Oct. 17: The Pink Pumpkin
- Event details: Hosted at SPACES at Kirby Grove 2925 Richmond Avenue, Houston, TX from 4 – 6 pm.
- There will be a demonstration of the latest screening technology, light bites and free cocktails.
- The event is Free with RSVP
- Oct. 18: In The Pink of Health
- Event details: The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center at 10:00 am
- Single tickets for the luncheon are $200
- Oct. 19: Pink & Black
- Event details: Hotel Derek at 2525 West Loop South from 6 – 10 pm
- Tickets range from $100 – $3,000
- Oct. 20: The She’s Happy Foundation presents: Breast Cancer Awareness Brunch
- Event details: Hermann Park at 15000 Centennial Park from 2 – 3:30 pm
- Tickets start at $75
- Oct. 26: The Nothing But God Breast Cancer Walk
- Event details: Golden Age Hobby House at 805 Winbern Street, Houston, TX from 9 – 11 am
- General admission tickets at $10. Children 3-15 are $3.
- Oct. 26: The Rethink the Pink: Survive, Thrive and Conquer! breakfast
- Event details: First Metropolitan Church, 8870 West Sam Houston Parkway North from 9 – 11 am
- Free event but RSVP is required.
- Oct. 27: Paint & Sip For The Cure
- Event details: 4888 Louetta Road from 5 – 9 pm hosted by Mink Hair Bar & Painless Braids. Light refreshments, painting and sharing stories of survival & strength.
- Cost: 25
- Nov. 9: American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Event details: City Centre, 800 Town & Country Blvd, Houston. Check-in begins at 7:30 am. The program begins at 8:30 am and the walk begins at 9:00 am.
If you cannot attend one of these events consider making a donation to a local breast cancer organization or reaching out to someone you may know that has overcome or is currently battling breast cancer to see how you can help.
Donate to the American Cancer Society
Donate to Susan G. Komen